Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Reminder from My Brother to Run the Race with Endurance - Hebrews 12:1

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

 As every old year comes to a close and the new year begins I go back to this scripture again and again. As 2010 is winding down and 2011 is about to start up, I am once again pondering the message of Hebrews 12:1. But this time something else is prompting me to take a fresh look.

As I write this, my beloved brother, Graham, is fighting an insidious disease in a hospital in Australia. I don't know how much longer he will be with us. At age fifty he is far too young to be struggling for life. Just a year ago he seemed to be the picture of health. Even a few short months ago, when I last saw him, he was convinced, and so was I, that he would prevail at least for a while in the battle against cancer. Now that is very much in doubt.

As I was seeking the Lord in this matter today, I am not in this moment angry about how unfair this seems for his church and his still young family. Nor am I yet grieving our loss of him as I am still holding out hope that he will rally against this terrible foe and stay with us a while longer. But what I recognize afresh today is that the Christian life is a long distance race that can be over at any time.

The race we are in is not a sprint. The writer of Hebrews says we should "run with endurance". It is much more like a marathon. It can be extremely long like my grandmother's race which went on for over one hundred years. But the difference is that with a marathon we know that the race will be over in a little over twenty-six miles. No matter how grueling, we can pace ourselves in a marathon. We know where the finish line is. In this life, we don't know. Graham's good friend, Sandy Ford, ran over the finish line in his early twenties. This is why we must fix our eyes on Jesus and run as hard as we can for as long as we can. Using a different but related metaphor Jesus said, "we must work the works of Him who sent Me, as long as it is day, night is coming, when no man can work." (John 9:3).

My brother Graham has certainly run the race hard. He has been busy with ministry in a number of places around the world, in addition to his labor of love at Subiaco Church in Perth, Australia. Many times I have marveled at his endurance and wondered how and why he keeps going so hard. Maybe he knew something we did not. For sure God knows what His earthly plan is for Graham, and when it will end.

I still pray daily that Graham's race will continue for a season. But regardless, I have been reminded that the race, though long, can be over very quickly. So we need to be about our Father's business. We shouldn't be in a frenzy. There is no reason to panic. God is still on the throne of the universe. But everyday we need to run the race as if today the race will be over. We never know when we will see the finish line.

The writer of Hebrews tells us that we must not "grow weary and lose heart" (Hebrews 12:3). Though greatly fatigued, Graham has never given up. Thanks, Graham, for your example! Your older brother is one of your many witnesses! Keep running with endurance the race that is set before you! We love you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment