Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Greatest Verse about the Security of the Believer - I Thessalonians 5:24

There are a lot of wonderful verses regarding the eternal security of believers, but my personal favorite is I Thessalonians 5:24. Why? Because it is so clear that it is God who ultimately guarantees our salvation, not us, and because I rarely hear anyone else refer to it. Look at it with me for just a moment.

"Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass."

The verse before sets the context. Paul prayerfully asks God to "sanctify" the Thessalonian believers "entirely", and to perserve them so that they will be "...without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". In other words, he is praying that the Thessalonian believers will be completely righteous when Christ returns, i.e., saved. Then Paul goes on to assure the Thessalonians, and us, that God is the One who ultimately will make sure this happens. What a great comfort that is to me! I know that if the process is left up to me, there is no way I am going to make it. I am far too weak, sinful and prone to stray. But if God has called us to salvation, He will bring it to pass, and we are going to be completely righteous, and arrive safely at our heavenly destination! Thank you Jesus, and thank you, Heavenly Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment