Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Do "Greater" Things Than Jesus? John 14:12

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. --John 14:12

Now let me get this straight. Jesus raised people from the dead (see John 11, for example) and Jesus is telling us that "he who believes in Me"...will do even "greater" things? What could that possibly be? How can anyone top raising someone from the dead? I have doubts that any believer has ever raised someone from the dead (reports from Africa notwithstanding), but what would be greater? I think the answer cannot be qualitative. It has to be quantitative.

When Jesus finished His ministry physically here on earth, He did not have a lot of followers. I don't know the number, but it could not have been more than a few thousand. Paul tells us that He appeared to "five hundred brethren at one time" after His resurrection (I Corinthians 15:6). But not until after the Lord ascended and the Day of Pentecost arrived did the church begin and the numbers explode.

What I believe Jesus is saying here is that we as His followers will do "greater" works than Him in terms of the scope of ministry and the number of people affected. Jesus ministered in a very small area of real estate to a limited number of people. We, on the other hand, have been given the responsibility of expanding His ministry to the most remote parts of the world (see Acts 1:8), and taking the gospel of Jesus Christ to every man, woman and child on this planet (Matthew 28:19). Now that is greater! But the question is: how are you personally contributing to these greater works?

No comments:

Post a Comment